Be aware of common pay scams in the warehouse industry
• Illinois Minimum wage is $8.28/hour.
• Minimum wage in the City of Chicago is $10.50/hour as of July 1, 2016.
• If you are paid "production pay" or "piece rate" (like if you’re paid a certain amount per truck unloaded) your pay must equal at least minimum wage.
• Time and one half your hourly rate must be paid for all hours worked over 40 during a week.
• It’s illegal for an employer to avoid paying overtime by splitting your paycheck, paying you under different names for your hours worked or paying you in cash for your overtime hours. If you work more than 40 hours a week for the same temp agency at more than one client company, you must be paid overtime.
• If you are paid production pay or piece rate you must be paid overtime, or at a rate of a piece and a half for all overtime hours.
• Your employer cannot require you to use a payroll card.
• You have the right to withdraw your pay from the card without being charged a fee.
• You can stop using a payroll card at any time. Your employer must provide another method of payment (e.g. cash or check.)
• The law limits certain types of fees charged to workers. See more info here.
Deductions From Your Check
• Except for court- ordered pay deductions like taxes and child support, your employer must obtain your written consent for any deduction at the time that deduction is made. This includes deductions for background checks, drug tests or uniforms.
Problems with your check? Contact WWJ for help